Product Design Engineer - Mac ( Mechanical)
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
Imaging what you could do here. At Apple, creative ideas have a way of becoming wonderful products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. We are looking for a Product Design Engineer to join the Mac team. As a Macintosh Product Design Engineer you will be responsible for designing the next generation of Apple computers, both portable and desktop. You will work in a dynamic, fast-paced engineering environment and in partnership with industrial designers, product marketing, module design, and electrical and hardware engineering teams. We have a firm dedication to fairness and diversity, recognizing that each employee contributes a wealth of perspectives to our culture; we seek to tap into this extraordinary resource and incorporate it into how we do business. Come join us and be empowered to generate the best and most impactful work of your life.
- You will possess design intelligence: creative problem solving, diligence in finding the best solution for each design challenge, excellent spatial reasoning skills, attention to detail
- Fundamentals of engineering: strength of materials, material science, statics, heat transfer
- Broad range of materials and processes: metal machining basics, plastic injection/compression molding basics, designing with metals, designing with polymers, sheet metal design, material finishing basics
- Flexible design skills: tolerance analysis, design for assembly/manufacturability, cross functional electro-mechanical integration, simple fixture design, , design considerations for high volume manufacturing, developing initial product layouts, understanding of Statistical Process Controls (SPC), understanding of metrology (basic knowledge of measurement systems), mechanism design
- Design validation skills: identifying critical requirements and test methods to evaluate designs against them, strong failure analysis skills, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), large data set analysis and computer-aided data analysis, Design of Experiments (DOE), Finite Element Analysis (FEA), and mechanical prototyping
- Computer aided design (CAD) Skills: 3D CAD experience required - NX preferred, 2D drafting and GD&T preferred, data exchange and working with printed circuit board (PCB) and flexible printed circuit (FPC), eCAD, electrical mechanical control outline (MCO) generation
- Component and system assembly build support in Asia (mainly in China)
- Excellent communication skills: both written and verbal communication, ability to communicate design ideas clearly, lead and contribute to brainstorms
In this highly visible role, you will utilize your mechanical design engineering skills to bring products to the market. Your responsibilities include product component and module integration; enclosure design; prototype creation and demonstration; manufacturing process and fixture design; product analysis and testing; and concept generation, discussion and down-selecting. Experience in designing mechanical components for high volume manufacturing is recommended, specifically injection molded parts, sheet metal components, die-cast and machined parts.
Education & Experience