Senior C++ Standard Library Engineer
London, Greater London, United Kingdom
Software and Services
The C Languages and Libraries team at Apple is looking for an experienced software engineer to develop and enhance Apple’s C+ standard library (“Libc++”) that ships on Apple’s platforms. Libc++ is a core part of Apple's developer tools and Xcode IDE, used internally to build Apple's software stack and externally by millions of developers. The position provides the opportunity to learn and make complementary changes to the Apple ObjC/C++ compiler ("Clang"). We value communication skills, integrity, and creativity. We aspire to build a diverse, balanced and dynamic team.
- Advanced knowledge of C++ with the ability to write maintainable, high performance code
- Experience developing and/or maintaining large C++ frameworks
- Familiarity with recent C++ language evolution such as C++20
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Positive and respectful attitude in a diverse environment
In this position, you will contribute to the evolution and development of Libc++ to improve the security, stability, and performance of Apple platforms. You will drive the design and implementation of major new C++ features, evaluate and optimize existing components of the library. You will work with security engineers and operating system engineers across Apple to help shape the future of our platform, languages and tools. You will have the scope to understand and improve the interplay between the C++ standard library, the compiler and other developer tools such as linters and bug-finding tools. You will also: - Work with the greater C++ community and contributing to the llvm.org (http://llvm.org/) open source project. - Interact with language communities such ISO WG21. Here you’ll find that we: - Have a supportive and tight-knit team - Provide technical guidance, software architectural review, and mentorship - Have an encouraging and growth-focused workplace culture - Have a calm work environment where you can choose when to socialise and when to close your office door and focus - Encourage you to use accrued annual leave time and maintain a healthy work-life balance The position is based onsite at Apple's campus in London. You should have skills in multiple of the listed areas, but expertise in all of them is not required.
Education & Experience
B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Experience working across organizational boundaries `
- Knowledge of LLVM/Clang/Libc++ and/or open source software development
- Understanding of the design and implementation of compiler and related tools like linters and analyzers
- Familiarity with security and exploitation techniques
- If possible, we’d love to see an example of your relevant work, such as a personal project or open source contribution
- Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programmes. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programmes that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products.
- Apple benefits programmes vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements. Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.