Metal Framework Manager - Apple Vision Pro
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Apple is where individual imaginations gather together, committing to the values that lead to great work. Every new product we build, service we create, or Apple Store experience we deliver is the result of us making each other’s ideas stronger. That happens because every one of us shares a belief that we can make something wonderful and share it with the world, changing lives for the better. It’s the diversity of our people and their thinking that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do. When we bring everybody in, we can do the best work of our lives. Here, you’ll do more than join something — you’ll add something. Apple Vision Pro is a revolutionary spatial computer that seamlessly blends digital content with your physical space. It will allow us to do the things we love in ways never before possible — all while staying connected to the people around us. Apple’s GPU, Graphics, and Display API & Architecture organization is looking for a highly motivated manager to drive the evolution of Metal, the low-overhead API for accessing the powerful 3D graphics and compute capabilities of the GPUs found in Apple’s products such as iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, and Mac. Combined with its rich shading language, tight integration of graphics and compute, and unparalleled suite of GPU profiling and debugging tools, Metal accelerates everything from games, 3D content creation, ray tracing, video production, image processing, AR/VR, and machine learning.
- Extensive experience with GPU APIs (Direct3D, Vulkan, CUDA, console, etc), and the dedication to improve upon them
- Detailed knowledge of a GPU hardware architecture, and its capabilities and performance characteristics
- Track record of building collaborative working relationships across large organizations
- Strong communication skills with the ability to influence up, down, and cross-functionally
- Ability to motivate people, instill accountability, and achieve results
- Excellent software design, problem solving, debugging, and performance analysis ability
- Excellent programming skills with C/C++
The Metal framework manager is responsible for delivering Metal feature development, test development, use case development, and feature performance analysis across both pre-silicon and production timelines, as well as Metal support for existing products. In this role you will work closely with:
Apple silicon hardware and driver teams to define new GPU features and their corresponding Metal specifications.
Compiler, compute, and higher level framework teams across Apple to organize and prioritize new Metal features, as well as support new and existing GPU-acceleration needs.
Work with ecosystems teams and app developers to bring the best games, AR/VR, machine learning, and professional apps to Apple platforms.
Education & Experience
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- Prior game development, GPGPU, or GPU-accelerated machine learning experience is a
- huge advantage
- Knowledge of current and emerging real-time rendering techniques is an asset
- Exposure to Metal, Objective-C/C++, and Swift