AIML - Software Engineer, Spotlight Search Infrastructure (SII)
Seattle, Washington, United States
Software and Services
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great product, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The Apple AI/ML Information Intelligence team is building best-in-class, privacy-aware search experiences in Spotlight - the search engine on every iPhone and Mac. You will be part of the team that builds and optimizes the core systems that store, index and search user data on device in a secure, privacy-aware manner. You will partner with apps and other teams across Apple to redefine how users search. The ideal candidate should be excited about building systems that are powerful enough to support a wide range of user experiences, and yet responsive and efficient enough to run on any device. The expected impact of your work will be to delight millions of Apple customers who rely on Apple devices for every aspect of daily life.
- Proficiency in C++
- Interest in low-level, high performance systems
- Strong background in fundamental systems concepts such as multithreading, concurrency, memory management, persistent indexes, crash recovery, algorithms, data structures, system design
- Strong communication skills
You will work on the core storage, indexing and search systems that power on-device Spotlight search over data on all iOS and macOS devices. You are passionate about building performant and well-designed systems and are able to learn existing systems quickly to understand how to bring them to the next level. You are dedicated to doing whatever needs to be done to delight users, whether it be designing or building new components, optimizing low-level system performance and resource usage, or extending and modifying existing systems to enable new search features.
Education & Experience
BS or MS in a related field, or equivalent experience
- Experience with systems (e.g., database internals, operating systems, file systems, or embedded systems) a plus, but not required
- Experience with text indexing and search systems a plus, but not required
- Experience with performance, memory or storage optimization a plus, but not required
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills