Cloud File Providers - Software Engineer
Paris, Paris Region, France
Software and Services
The Cloud File Providers team works on frameworks and daemons powering cloud storage services on iOS and macOS. We keep your files in sync between the local file system and your favourite cloud storage provider. We work with Apple’s cloud storage service iCloud Drive as well as external developers of all sizes. We are sync engineers - we worry about causality, data integrity, performance, stability and reliability. We operate a storage system at an incredible scale, and through our partners work closely with all sorts of customers, consumers and enterprise alike. We design and maintain a large API surface, and we focus on the developer experience. We take pride in owning a feature that spans from the filesystem to the UI, and we drive multi-functional work with teams at both ends of the spectrum, the likes of the APFS and Finder teams. On this team you’ll get a chance to understand and impact that entire stack, and forge relationships with specialists of these layers.
- Programming skills: extensive experience in C, Objective-C or C++, familiarity with Swift.
- Experience with at least 2 of the following:
- Debugging code with cross-functional teams owning dependencies and/or depending on your code
- Building or maintaining low level, data intensive, complex systems such as storage systems, databases or data pipelines.
- Designing a system anticipating future evolutions: data migration, protocol versioning or API versioning.
- Experience working with telemetry and making data-driven decisions.
You will help drive features and quality in a fast pace, high impact environment! The position entails responsibility for the quality of the user experience, the reliability, performance and stability of the system, the integrity of our users’ data, and the protection of their privacy. The challenge in this position is to deliver features while not compromising on any of these requirements. The ideal candidate has a proven track record of getting up to speed in a large code base and quickly delivering features without regressing an existing user base. He or she will be independent and driven, learn quickly, have the presence to ask questions and clarifications to the team, the courage to challenge existing design decisions while keeping everyone on track with the existing feature plans. The goal six months to a year down the road is that this engineer will understand the system well enough to fix complex bugs and implement features collaboratively, participate fully in planning and prioritization discussions, and contribute to the technical vision and roadmap of the team.
Education & Experience
MS CS/CE or equivalent experience and extensive experience as a software Engineer
- Good English. Spoken French is a plus, but is not necessary.
- History of shipping software on tight schedules.
- Capacity to break down a long term technical vision into incremental work.
- Capacity to plan, prioritise, drive co-workers to execute, report on progress and blockers.
- Capacity to provide an executive summary about the state of a feature, giving a clear picture and diving into technical details as asked.
- Interest in working in a constantly evolving and dynamic environment and driving top issues to resolution.
- Appetite to challenge and revisit QA plans and engineering roadmaps continuously to deliver features aggressively and at the highest level of quality.
- Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programmes. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programmes that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products.
- Apple benefits programmes vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Apple is a drug-free workplace