C++ (Embedded) Software Engineer - Streaming Media, Media Products
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The Apple TV team is looking for a software engineer to join the Apple Media products team working on next generation video and music applications.
- Shipping production code for over 5 years
- Strong skills in C++ coding, unit test development, and debugging
- Deep understanding of multi-threaded apps and asynchronous code
- Knowledge of Linux and Android OS platforms
- Software development experience with mobile devices, streaming media players, smart TVs or set top boxes. e.g. AndroidTV / FireTV / Roku / Xbox / Playstation / Samsung / LG
- Knowledge of adaptive streaming technologies such as HTTP Live Streaming (HLS), DASH etc.,
- Experience using HTML5 based video playback technologies, such as MSE (Media Source Extensions) and EME (Encrypted Media Extensions)
- Working knowledge of media codecs (AAC, AVC, HEVC), container formats (MP4) and transport protocols
- Experience with Node.js is a plus
- Experience in CI/CD development projects
- Experience working with Docker containers
- Previous experience debugging for performance especially related to video/audio
- Creative problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- An attitude of making things happen and owning any hurdles in your way
Drawing on your extensive experience delivering streaming media applications across a broad array of device types and media formats, you will be part of a team of engineers to expand Apple’s media device footprint. You will be working closely with the top media technology platforms and partners applying current and emerging technologies to achieve the user experience customers expect from Apple. You are comfortable working with a broad group of internal and external multi-functional teams, with competing goals, because you know how to create win/win environments that ultimately result in everyone rallying together to deliver the best experience for our shared customers. You’ll be working in a cross platform group driving new development across a range of hardware and integrating your software with a varied and talented group of Apple teams that make up the core of the Music and Video services. We are looking for people who can express passion around what they are working on and get excited about the in-home user experience. This engineer will have a deep wonder for technology at large with a thirst to explore and find the best and optimal ways to deliver on our roadmaps. The ability to multi task between the various layers of the client stack and the complex nature of those stacks is an excellent skill to bring to the team. Job Duties: -Develop, integrate and debug software used in the cross platform initiatives related to the Apple TV and Apple Music applications -Develop and debug software in C++, C, and Java -Test and verify features across platforms to verify functionality and customer user experience is exceptional -Collaborate with cross functional teams on code and services utilized in our platform development -Drive system bring-ups and qualifications with partners -Research new areas of development to improve, and extend the reach of the applications -Work closely with hardware and cross-function teams to analyze requirements, plan and execute projects, and troubleshoot issues -Evaluate product functionality, design, performance, and user experience -Create, troubleshoot, verify, and document test coverage requirements -Work with a group of engineers who are totally passionate about impacting the future of how our audience consumes TV and Music and impacting the positive experience for those users as an Apple employee.
Education & Experience
BS/MS in CS/CE/EE or equivalent experience
- Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programs. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programs that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products.
- Apple benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Apple is a drug-free workplace.