Senior Mechanical Systems Engineer
The Apple Cloud Engineering team is looking for an outstanding mechanical systems engineer to build highly robust and efficient systems that will power the next generation Apple data centers. In this highly collaborative role, you will be at the center of multiple efforts to design systems and processes at the rack elevation level. You will also partner with hardware teams, software teams, and data center operations teams, to evolve and maintain the roadmap. We are looking for someone with shown proficiency in system hardware development. You should have a strong mix of education and practical experience with a passion for diving head first into exciting and challenging problems.
- 8+ years of experience as a Mechanical systems engineer
- Strong understanding of power, thermals, networking, and physical hardware systems at building scale (data centers, clean rooms, gas/oil processing plants, etc)
- Relevant design experience in the areas of heat transfer, air cooling systems, static loading structures, and vibration isolation
- Ability to prototype structural frames, metal and plastic enclosures, and thermal systems
- Ability to troubleshoot complex systems where the issue could be either hardware or software
- Experience writing and maintaining engineering specifications and procedures
- Strong CAD skills (Siemens NX preferred)
- Previous experience in data center hardware design (preferred, but not required)
- Passionate about user-centered design thinking, product architecture, and building excellent systems that scale well
- Brings creativity, collaboration, and product focus to daily interactions
- Excellent interpersonal skills
You are responsible for the rack elevation design, all processes around assembly, servicing, and the decommissioning of units, as well as the elevation roadmap. You will work cross-functionally with product design, data center engineering and operations, hardware operations, platform design, and software teams to develop and integrate best in class hardware that delivers excellent services. This new role, in an exciting and growing team, provides you with the opportunity to build something new and be a key player responsible for developing the next generation of Apple data centers! YOU ARE THE RIGHT MATCH IF: You possess strong skills in hardware systems design and execution. You are passionate about developing new systems and improving them. You have a proven track record of shipping new products. You are skilled at the art of communicating and enjoy it.
Education & Experience
B.S. or M.S. in Systems Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. If you are applying for a position in San Francisco, please click here.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Learn more.
- Apple's committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Learn more.
- Apple is a drug-free workplace. Learn more.