Senior Machine Learning Manager, Ad Platforms
New York City, New York, United States
Software and Services
At Apple, we work every day to create products that enrich people’s lives. Our Advertising Platforms group makes it possible for people around the world to easily access informative and imaginative content on their devices while helping publishers and developers promote and monetize their work. Today, our technology and services power advertising in Search Ads in the App Store and Apple News. Our platforms are highly-performant, deployed at scale, and setting new standards for enabling effective advertising while protecting user privacy. We are seeking a self-motivated individual that will build out the next generation of our ads platforms and ensure that Apple provides the most relevant and high quality ads experience while maintaining a healthy marketplace. Your team will develop models that improve our platform across the board, developed production code to generate recommendations and work closely with business partners to help drive the development of new products as well as perform large scale and complex experiments to understand their effects. You will drive strategic outcomes through meaningful innovation in multiple fields by leading the development and application of advanced techniques and algorithms to improve our ad network. You have, or will develop a deep understanding of the ad network behavior, and will work with product management and business leadership to prioritize an innovation roadmap across multiple technical domains. You will lead the conception, development, and delivery of innovative capabilities that differentiate our products and are core to our business. You should have experience developing and implementing machine learning algorithms, ideally within the ads space. You will have an excellent understanding of scalable architectures and thrive working in Agile environments. The ability to be a great teammate under tight deadline constraints is key to success.
- Differentiated, recognized expertise in automated bidding systems, ad campaign optimization algorithms, advertiser side measurement.
- Ability to define quarterly/yearly roadmaps as well as formulate a strategic vision that aligns with the broader organization.
- Demonstrated success mentoring and growing a team technically as well as developing growth plans for its members.
- Ability to apply and implement research concepts, ultimately in production quality code.
- Experience defining clear, testable research hypotheses, including intended impact on the business.
- Deep knowledge of design of experiments, online experimentation approaches, preferably at scale.
- Ability to formulate and advocate for R&D objectives and results to cross-functional team members including executive business leadership and product management.
- Experience contributing and/or reviewing research for top conferences and publications.
- Deep fluency in Java or Python.
- Experience with Spark, Hadoop or other distributed frameworks.
In this role you will manage a team of experienced engineers who specialize in advertiser recommendations and campaign optimization. You will manage, design and build scalable relevance systems that allow Ad Platforms to drive growth of our marketplace while ensuring advertisers have performant campaigns that drive value. You will work with a variety of cross functional business partners to set strategy and bring end-to-end solutions that scale as we grown. You will have the opportunity to apply your ability to move the state of the art techniques in a fast growing business that positively impacts publishers, developers and Apple users at global scale.
Education & Experience
4+ years of experience building machine learning capabilities across many different product areas at scale 3+ years management experience PhD or equivalent experience in Machine Learning, Statistics, Forecasting, Optimization, Reinforcement Learning or related field with experience building production systems or have equivalent experience working with large data science / machine learning projects in industry