Systems Design and Test Engineer
Austin, Texas, United States
Imagine what you could do here! Our organization plays a key role in ensuring the quality standards at Apple are exceeded, and making sure that our customers are happy with the performance and experience of the products they use. Members of this team lead the design of custom hardware testing fixtures, software (firmware and/or FPGA IP), and instruments that are critical to Apple’s product integrity. We are looking for an engineer who is dedicated, curious, and eager to get going quickly. Your experience in engineering and technical leadership will have a direct impact to the products that our customers enjoy. The individual will drive the development of our testing hardware and software instrumentation in parallel to that of the product design; someone who can thrive in a dynamic and fast paced environment. You will develop a deep understanding of the entire product architecture at both the hardware and system level in order to provide a complete and thorough hardware testing solution. Come join us!
- Working knowledge of USB 3.2, USB-PD, Display Port, PCIe, I2C, SPI technologies and protocols, and design!
- Excellent understanding analog, digital, and power electronics hardware architectures and design
- Experience in PCB layout, design, and signal integrity using Allegro or a similar CAD tool
- Ability to design and critique complex electrical schematics and PCB layouts
- Experience in designing and testing complex mixed signal electrical systems
- Able to quickly and intuitively debug complex electrical systems, and propose clear, relevant experiments
- Be able to communicate complex engineering concepts clearly and concisely to cross functional teams and leadership
- Able to analyze parametric data and make sense of what it represents in the real world
- Willingness to travel internationally up to 20%; estimated 8-10 days per trip
Some of the primary responsibilities of the Individual in this role will be: Owning and leading the system architecture, hardware design, and implementation of product testing across the Mac portables and desktop product lines from prototype to mass production Leading our organization in developing custom electrical instruments and algorithms, software tools for data analysis, diagnostic tests, or solving any problem or feature in the test process and designing hardware test fixtures both locally and at the factory. Working closely with the system design and diagnostics teams early in the product development lifecycle to learn the system architecture and provide suggested test for functionality and performance Being the technical expert for designing, understanding, presenting, communicating and debugging, the system testing and testing processes of your product Being a key liaison between our organization and the Contract Manufacturers to ensure that our test station hardware and software is validated and ready for manufacturing testing Being able to deal with a dynamic and rapidly changing environment requiring decision-making with ambiguous information. Owning documentation of tests and developing/executing product test plans, specifying test stations and diagnostics for testing product features, and implementing test process control and parametric data collection.
Education & Experience
B.S. or M.S. EE with 3+ years of proven experience
- Basic software engineering experience (writing, editing, debugging Python or LUA scripts, C/C++ etc.)
- Experience in FPGA development (Verilog, SysVerilog, VHDL) is a plus