Apple Media Products Engineering — Senior Software Engineer, Big Data
New York City, New York, United States
Software and Services
The Apple Media Products (AMP) Content Data Architecture team is looking for a Software Engineer specializing in big data processing. You will collaborate with other data experts on implementing our data strategy for the App Store, Apple Music, Apple TV, Fitness, Podcasts, Books, and more. You will build big data pipelines to be widely used by the rest of our development community, in order to support shared access to data and downstream utilization of it in analytics and reporting.
- At least 5 years experience in designing, implementing and supporting highly scalable big data processing (streaming and/or batch) in a distributed data processing ecosystem
- In-depth Java & Scala programming experience
- Command of data management and automation on Spark, Hadoop, and HDFS and/or S3 environments
- Experience with and deep understanding of event stream processing with Kafka.
- Experience with container management platforms such as Kubernetes.
- Experience with 3rd party clouds like AWS, GCP, Azure is a plus
- Strong production debugging and performance tuning skills
- Ability to pick up new technologies quickly
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
The team is looking for a self-motivated individual with excellent verbal & written communication skills who is willing to question assumptions, take end to end ownership of features and drive them to completion. You should have experience developing large-scale server-side systems using object-oriented languages, working on complex problems and distributed systems where scalability and performance are very important. You will work independently within a small team of experts, while also collaborating effectively with members of this and other teams throughout software development lifecycle. Ability to pick up new technologies quickly is also a key quality we seek. Our customers love what we do at Apple and we want the same from our engineers, so bring passion for building the best systems! We love figuring out how things work and trying to make them better. Sometimes it's a little tweak, sometimes it's a fundamental shift - usually it is somewhere in between. We brainstorm on whiteboards, share ideas, build prototypes, present proposals to teams, embed for a while to help them get started, check the metrics, and repeat!
Education & Experience
Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math or Physics, or equivalent experience.
- Passion for working with Big Data (unstructured and structured)
- Interest and passion for online media and the future of advanced analytics
- Confidence with SQL databases such as Oracle, and a variety of NoSQL databases such as Cassandra, MongoDB, etc
- Background in data warehousing principles, architecture and its implementation in large multi-terabyte environments
- Aptitude to independently learn new technologies