Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you love crafting elegant solutions to highly complex challenges? Are you a big-picture visionary who understands how each element affects all the others? At Apple, our Architecture group is responsible for connecting our hardware and software into one unified system. Join this team, and you’ll collaborate with engineers across Apple to design how all of our technologies work in unison. In this role, you will be interfacing with software and hardware designers to develop algorithms and architectures for hardware video codecs.
- Experience in the following:
- Video codec hardware architecture design and cost/quality trade-off analysis
- Developing bit accurate C/C++ models for hardware validation
- End-to-end hardware IP development process from concept to products
- Designing robust video coding algorithms that scale across a wide range of use cases from HDR recording to real-time communication and offline transcoding
- Evaluating video encoder coding efficiency with both objective and subjective metrics, and optimizing encoder towards a desired metric
- Working with modern coding standards and formats including H.264, HEVC, VVC and AV1
- Scripting languages such as Python and shell
As a Video Codec Architect owning the algorithms, design, and architecture for video encoding, you will have responsibilities spanning various aspects of video codec design: - Develop new video encoding algorithms suitable for hardware implementations, such as motion estimation, mode decision, rate-distortion optimization, perceptual quality optimization - Work with chip architecture team and software teams to define, document and implement encoding algorithms for video encoders - Work with hardware design team to define video codec hardware acceleration processing units - Develop bit-accurate C-models for hardware validation - Develop scripts for tasks like test vector generation, encoder side band data collection and visualization, encoder parameter tuning - Work with software teams to help optimize the usage of hardware encoding resources across Apple products and use cases - Participate in next generation compression technology definition and standardization.
Education & Experience
BS and 20+ years of relevant experience