CNC/Diamond Turning Engineer (Yokohama Technology Center)
Kanagawa, Kanagawa-ken, Japan
Optics Prototyping team is responsible for prototyping key optical components for new products. The team is looking for a diamond turning engineer to work on the prototyping of advanced optical products. This job will include work on new manufacturing technologies and new products that will change the environment in ways never imaged before.
- Hands-on experience operating and problem solving on CNC equipment (diamond turning, others).
- Proficiency in CNC processing of optical components both directly in plastic and in metals for tooling.
- Extensive knowledge in mold tool structure and design
- Experience in high accuracy lab metrologies such as profilometers and CMM
- Ability to read 2D/3D CAD and related simulation software
- Familiar with aspheres, cylinders and freeforms both in terms of geometry and measurement
- Knowledge of plastic optical materials such as acrylics, polycarbonates and cyclic olefins as well as diamond turnable metals such as nickel, copper and aluminum.
As a Diamond Turning Engineer, you will be working on the direct prototyping of optical components to evaluate new designs as well as making tooling for molding. Activities will include hands-on work with diamond turning equipment and metrology equipment. You will also be asked to evaluate designs for manufacturability and to suggest improvements. As such, an ability to observe and draw conclusions to enhance tooling design, optical components design and manufacturability will be important. Failure mode analysis, root-cause diagnosis and problem solving within a small prototyping team and with cross-functional teams will be routine. You may periodically need business travel to support technology development with related suppliers and partners.
Education & Experience
Bachelor/Masters degree required in Engineering. Industry experience preferred.