Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan
Software and Services
Apple’s global Build & Integration team is at the core of the Apple software development process in delivering the best operating systems and applications to Apple customers. The role requires coordination and collaboration with many teams across Apple, including Software Engineering, Hardware Engineering, Localization, and Quality Assurance. It requires efficiently performing build engineering tasks, optimizing build systems, documenting best practices, and coordinating with Engineering Program Managers to release software to engineering teams.
- Development experience on Apple platforms, UNIX, and/or Linux.
- Knowledge of shell scripting and scripting languages.
- UNIX administration and strong software debugging skills.
- Knowledge of operating system, network, and compiler concepts.
- English fluency required both written and spoken, no Japanese language skills required.
A SUCCESSFUL BUILD ENGINEER WILL: - Have excellent verbal and written communication skills. - Create simple and elegant yet scalable and robust solutions. - Respond to e-mail questions about the capabilities of the build system. - Communicate status frequently to product teams and engineering program managers. - Document any new process or update an existing wiki page. - Mentor colleagues and new hires. Specific responsibilities include: - Performing daily software builds of macOS, iOS, and its related products. - Troubleshooting and resolving complex software integration issues. - Working with Apple development teams to configure project code base. - Developing tools and processes to improve and automate workflow. - Working cross functionally with teams across Apple to ship products. - Maintaining and integrating automation tools. - Installing and living on newest software releases. - Filing and resolving bugs as quickly as possible.
Education & Experience
Bachelors, Masters, or equivalent experience in Computer Science
- Preferred Experience The following experiences can make for a prolific build engineer:
- - Programming in Objective-C and/or Swift.
- - Familiarity with Git (or equivalent) to manage source code.
- - Compiling software from source such as Linux distributions or other open-source software.
- - Authoring automation tools.