Localization Project Manager - Shared Services (Tokyo)
Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan
Operations and Supply Chain
Enriching lives. It’s not just a slogan; it’s what Apple people strive to do every day, by building extraordinary products, by creating amazing experiences, and by inventing new ways to do better, reach farther and think bigger in everything we do and for everyone we connect with, without exception. That’s just us. If it’s also you, come join us. In this role, your work as a localization authority will help our team provide Apple customers and employees across the globe with the "Apple experience" that is catered to their native language. This is an excellent opportunity to be part of the Shared Services team contributing to Apple’s steady international growth supporting various Apple departments that require localization of their content.
- 5+ years experience as a Localization Project Manager
- 2+ years experience as part of a Language Service Provider preferred
- 2+ years experience with computer-aided translation tools (SDL WorldServer, Trados Studio, TermWeb etc.) strongly preferred
- Experience using WorldServer to create and run localization projects from beginning to end
- Real passion for and understanding of linguistics as it pertains to localization
- Deep understanding of localization file formats (HTML, XML, iWork, iBooks, MS Office, InDesign, Photoshop etc.) and experience working with them
- Experience with different localization methods in addition to document translation, including reverse translation, CMS integration, video subtitle and voiceover localization
- Collaboration: The position requires the ability to work with a variety of people located all over the planet who hold a variety of positions. Your liaison skills – with vendors and fellow Apple employees – will serve you well
- A personal dedication to professionalism, integrity and openness
- Learn new tools, processes and concepts, always looking for ways to improve
- Proficiency in languages other than English and Japanese is advantageous
- Proficiency with Apple products and applications is preferred
- Lead the full cycle of a localization project, which includes assessing the quality of source files, crafting projects in WorldServer, handling vendor queries, tracking deadlines, checking and delivering localized files. - Ensure open communication among partners, vendors, linguistic quality teams and fellow team members throughout the course of a project. - Handle production finances, which includes requesting and reviewing quotes from vendors, obtaining approvals and keeping track of project cost. - Actively engage with various partners within Apple, to inspire constant feedback on translation quality, educate them on localization standard methodologies, and evangelize the benefits of including localization in scope during the early stages of content development. - Own and develop localization processes and programs catered to the specific needs of each partner we work with, while unifying and consolidating processes where possible for a more consistent and efficient localization experience. - Work with Apple-approved localization vendors to train linguists on Apple content, style, terminology etc. Provide reference materials to give linguists more context and background information about each project. - Create or lead creation of reference documents including partner profiles, localization process documents, style guides, and glossaries. - Collaborate with our Quality Management team in monitoring linguistic quality and vendor performance. - Engage in various production, reporting and other administrative tasks in support of ongoing localization programs and initiatives as necessary.
Education & Experience
BA/BS degree preferred or equivalent work experience We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they build the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it.