Apple Media Products, Editorial Photography Director
Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan
There’s the typical job and then there’s a career at Apple where we'll challenge you to defy routine, to explore the far reaches of the possible, to travel unchartered paths, and to be a part of something far bigger than yourself. Because around here, changing the world just comes with the job description. Apple Media Products is looking for an exceptional Photography Director to help shape our photography for the Apple App Store, Apple Music, and beyond. This is a role is for a true creative - a visual thinker, communicator, and problem solver who wants to have their hands in several things at once; who can work across media types, screens, formats and technologies; who can collaborate well and is dedicated to shaping lasting, meaningful experiences for our users. The Photography Director must have a passion for storytelling, with an eye for detail and strong leadership skills. This position will work closely with various editorial teams from APAC to EMEA to create impactful visual solutions; to produce ideas that will resonate with local audiences around the world. Work is typically done by small teams under tight deadlines, so strong communication skills are required, as is coolness under pressure, resourcefulness, ingenuity in solving problems, dependability, attention to detail and the ability to learn and cope with rapid change. Not least, the idea candidate is dedicated to Apple’s high standards of quality.
- Ability to collaborate with a large team of photo producers, designers, and editors across multiple countries.
- Ability to concept original shoots with art directors and cast appropriate photographers.
- Expert in photography production workflows, fees and rights negotiation.
- Ideal candidate will have a vast pool of industry contacts including agents and photographers.
- A keen ability to develop cultural and commercial narratives with impactful photographic imagery.
- Knowledge of image rights and legal clearance processes for licensed and commissioned content.
- Ability to self manage and prioritize multiple projects while meeting tight deadlines.
- Able to negotiate image contracts, usage and fees.
- Ability to optimize imagery for digital and print use: including color correction and basic retouching.
- Some photo research background with the ability to source photography from a variety of photo agencies and photographers within a same day deadline.
- Candidates should have a BA/BS+, 10+ years photography experience, excellent communication skills, and a solid understanding of the creative development process.
- Previous experience in an editorial environment a big plus.
Core duties will include collaborating with photo and design teams to concept shoots, source photographers, lead original photoshoot productions, and at times source image libraries. Secure licensing and lead pricing negotiation with reps, photographers and stock houses. Assist with archiving licensed materials into our database management system. Will play an active role in contributing to the team’s collaborators pool by identifying photo houses, photographers and image sources to partner with in market for specific projects.
Education & Experience
- •10+ years experience
- • Bachelor's degree in Photography, Web, Graphic, Information or Communication Design
- • Expert Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- • Portfolio required
- • Keynote experience a plus
- • Must be willing to travel on a regular basis
- • Bilingual in English and Japanese