Creative Director of Design, Japan
Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan
Apple is a detail-obsessed company that always puts customer experience first. It shows in the products we make, and also in the communications we create to help people understand and get the most out of those products. Like the team who designs the products, we share the goal of making everything we touch feel beautiful and elegantly simple. Apple’s Marcom group in Japan is a team of creatives, brand managers, producers, and planners that help develop and execute Apple’s marketing strategy. Marcom manages business solutions through package design, retail and channel experience, partner communications, motion graphics, films, events materials, direct marketing, interactive, as well as Apple.com. As the Creative Director of Design for Japan Marcom, you’ll be primarily responsible for ensuring the flawless development, adaptation, and execution of world-class communications. You’ll do this in collaboration with Group Creative Director and other Creative members. You’ll ensure the brand’s standards are upheld and that Apple’s visual tone and manner is consistent with the global standard. Sound like you? If so, we'd love to hear from you.
- Deep designing and crafting experience in a design company, advertising agency, or in-house Creative team. Importantly, having an adept understanding of the processes involved in producing the work.
- Extensive experience of creative marketing communications in Japan, and understand the impact of cultural relevancies in the market.
- A background in design and art direction that spans digital, graphic, and advertising. You can confidently creative direct all these types of workflows.
- Comfortable working at a conceptual, strategic and executional level to make ambitious and compelling visual communications.
- Demonstrated strong leadership ability in previous roles, and know how to build teams and processes that deliver the highest-quality creative work.
- Always being curious with cutting edge creatives around the world as well as unique business challenges and opportunities in Japan.
Have a deep knowledge of both Apple, its products, and the visual language in order to align the tone and voice of global creative works. At the same time, you’ll have a profound understanding of Japanese cultural contexts to match Apple’s creative works effectively to the market. Tackle unique business challenges and opportunities working along with Group Creative Director, writers, producers and planners. You’ll come up with highly strategic and effective solutions beyond advertising. Be a great leader of design in the Creative team, and also a great collaborator with other functional teams such as retail, channel, interactive producers and brand managers. Help non-designers and non-creatives to understand visual concepts and design intentions effectively with your excellent presentation skills throughout the Geo organization. Support junior creatives, freelancers and vendors to achieve Apple’s highest quality of design throughout the entire creative and production development. Identify new creative talents, design houses, creative boutiques in the market and engage them to establish a compelling partnership. Occasionally oversee the works created by our external agencies, and help them to achieve the best design and art direction by giving appropriate feedback.
Education & Experience
- Fluent both in Japanese and English.
- Ability to travel to the US & Europe. Up to 8 weeks per year.