Business Affairs Manager - Japan
Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan
Marcom is Apple’s Global Marketing Communications group. We oversee all of Apple’s advertising and marketing to ensure the flawless development and execution of world-class communications. Our Business Affairs team in Marcom is in search for a Business Affairs Manager to advise on BA matters related to Apple’s marketing communications in Japan. Those include driving the planning, licensing and execution of intellectual property rights-managed content in Apple marketing.
- At least 10 years of relevant Business Affairs experience, working with creative teams in a marketing, advertising, entertainment, or other media content-focused industry.
- Strong working knowledge of consumer-facing content (advertising, social media, UGC, consumer digital experiences, entertainment and editorial) and associated risks is a must.
- A strong working knowledge of IP rights including copyright, trademark, and licensing in the area of entertainment and/or advertising law with emphasis on tech, music, film / TV industries.
- Expertise in identifying potential legal and cultural issues in Japan for marketing purposes.
- Demonstrated skills in core areas: reviewing and drafting licensing agreements, strong negotiation skills, partnership management, creative problem-solving.
- Self-motivated with high emotional intelligence, flexibility, and the ability to work independently and reliably on multiple projects.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Fluency in both oral and written English and Japanese is required.
- Highly collaborative and responds positively to change.
- Interest in and awareness of cultural trends in Japan.
- A strong passion for all content types, in particular app technology. Experience with working with app developers is a plus.
In this role, the successful candidate will be representing Marcom’s Business Affairs Japan team with a high degree of ownership, integrity, and accountability. As a Business Affairs Manager in this role, you will be collaborating with the creative, business and legal teams across functions. Your deep expertise in fostering and maintaining relationships across internal and external stakeholders will be essential for your success. On a day-to-day basis, you will be responsible for advising on all business affairs matters related to original marketing production work produced locally in Japan. You will also be responsible for securing regionally relevant content for deeper customer resonance and engagement. To this end, you will be coordinating and planning appropriate, locale-specific content to replace Worldwide Marcom content that is not available or suitable for use in Japan. Overall, you are a team player who knows how to react quickly to new information, opinions, and direction and strategically pivot when necessary. Last-minute changes to production will leave you unfazed, and your experience to date will have primed you to navigate such changes with confidence and expertise. This truly is an exciting opportunity to join a unique and diverse global team! The successful candidate will love working with colleagues locally as well as colleagues in different parts of the world. The role will report to the Senior Manager of WW Business Affairs, based at company headquarters in the U.S. Travel to U.S. company headquarters will be periodically required once it is safe to travel again.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s Degree required. JD or MBA desirable.