Core OS Triage Engineer
Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan
Software and Services
Are you a big-picture thinker who loves setting ambitious goals? Do you have a passion for understanding how each line of code affects all the others? In the Core Operating Systems group ensuring the OS is inseparable from each device’s identity as a whole. That’s because this group is committed to building fully integrated operating systems that combine hardware, software, and apps into a single Apple experience. Your dedication to cross-disciplinary collaboration will help develop groundbreaking technologies, such as iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS. By crafting these distinct, holistic user experiences, you’ll continue to uphold and advance the excellence people expect from Apple devices. We are working to take the build and test process of the low-level components of iOS, macOS, watchOS and tvOS to the next level (think kernel and low-level libraries). We don’t have all of the answers on how to do that yet, perhaps you do? We are exploring, measuring and trying new things. We are responsible for validating nearly a quarter of all changes that go into our OS releases and affect 1 billion+ customers, so this isn’t just a theoretical exercise. We won’t be satisfied with anything less than outstanding!
- Unix operating system test development experience (macOS or iOS development experience is a huge plus)
- Demonstrated proficiency with scripting languages (Python, Perl, Bash)
- Understanding of key components of an operating system.
- Ability to examine, debug out, and recognize patterns in failures
- Able to relay critical information between stakeholders for rapid resolution of issues
- Ability to work with the engineering team to root cause failures on short/tight cadence.
- Execute nightly regression test suites on multiple devices and raise failures in a timely manner
- English fluency both written and spoken. No Japanese skills required.
As a Software Integration Test Engineer you will be impacting the software organization at Apple to ensure the internal release of iOS and macOS are reliable every day. You will be responsible for building a stable software environment for engineers to develop on and for internal users of iOS and macOS to live on. The role is essential to ensure that we continue to provide a top-notch OS to various organizations within the company and eventually a healthy and stable OS release to our customers. THE RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS POSITION INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING: - We investigate defects found in the OS submission process to identify culprits - We triage issues to the correct team using a variety of debug methods - We develop and improve the submission process as it relates to test/triage/debug. - We collaborate with teams of test engineers - We guide the organization on process improvement initiatives - We work with the engineering and extended test teams to improve the nightly regression test coverage - We contribute to the test infrastructure as needed to develop tools and tests that aid in triaging test failures
Education & Experience
BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicant.
- We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.