New Product Introduction (NPI) Engineer, Semiconductor - Japan
Kanagawa, Kanagawa-ken, Japan
At Apple, ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they build the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that encourages the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Imagine what you could do here! We have an opportunity for a New Product Introduction Engineer for Semiconductor in Japan. In this position, you are the primary engineering interface to the core engineering product development teams and other cross functional organizations within Apple and the external contract manufacturers in Japan and region. Hardware engineering is engaged from the earliest stages of new product introduction, engineering builds, ramp up and throughout product lifecycle. You will be responsible to manage the new product development related to custom semiconductor devices in key Japanese vendors, working with module and sensor teams to quickly resolve technical and resource issues and interface between sensor vendors and downstream module integrators. The group covers image sensors and compound semiconductor devices, used inside modules for all systems. We invite you to join us on this journey and help us leave the world better than we found it!
- Over 8 years of proven experience in Wafer fabrication Product Engineering, Process Engineering and/or Quality Engineering
- Technical expertise with Wafer Fab background is required. Experience with compound semiconductors is a plus, but not essential
- Understanding of wafer test, yield, wafer fab processes, wafer packaging and back-end issues
- Familiarity with quality systems and control
- Experience collaborating with operations team, vendors, and contract manufacturers.
- Strong technical skills, involving problem solving and issue root causing in a pressured environment
- Interpersonal skills of leadership, project management, communication, influencing and negotiation
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English and Japanese
- Demonstrate flexibility. The job also requires significant domestic travel up to 30%, along with international travel
- Be involved at product concept to ensure products are manufacturable, and conduct Design for Manufacture reviews - Ensure approval of vendor process, process flow and equipment for new devices - Manage new process introduction and special projects, such as new testers - Identify and audit manufacturers for new product development - Ensure device vendors are conforming to Apple specs and requirements - Organize three way meetings with device vendors and module integrators to get feedback on downstream issues and to ensure smooth co-working. Assist and arbitrate as needed - Regularly provide status reporting updates to executives and escalation when needed - Close coordination with device design team, module design team and operations team - Collaborate with reliability engineering and system quality engineers - Manage a new product ramp, from initial design validation to mass production phase - Work with Cupertino NPI team to drive ramp readiness with engineering, operations and contract manufacturers, focus in overall capacity planning, manufacturing process scalability and overall bring up plan of multiple factory sites that includes factory space, labor hiring, training and production lines qualifications - Drive Engineering, Operations and Contract Manufacturers on design for manufacturing to enable continued volume growth at the best product quality
Education & Experience
BS/MS in Electrical Engineering or allied technical subject