Senior Standards Policy Legal Counsel
Brussels, Brussels-Capital Region, Belgium
Apple is a place where extraordinary people gather to do their best work. Together we create products and experiences people once couldn’t have envisioned - and now can’t imagine living without. If you’re excited by the idea of making a real impact, and joining a team where we pride ourselves in being one of the most diverse and expansive companies in the world, then this is an opportunity for you. Apple has a new opening for a Brussels based Senior Standards Policy Legal Counsel. Responsibilities include advocating on standards and IP policy related topics with government agencies and in standards setting organization policy groups and counseling clients on standards-related matters. As part of Apple’s Standards team you will collaborate with team members and Apple internal partners in Europe, Cupertino and other locations. Travel will be required. This is an extraordinary opportunity for a talented, ambitious lawyer or policy advocate well versed in EU law to contribute to the success of some of the most groundbreaking products in the world.
- Extensive years of legal or government lobbying experience in an international company, law firm or international organisation with a focus on EU law.
- Strong insight and deep knowledge in the operation and intellectual property policies of standards bodies, as well as direct experience in the development and/or revision of standards’ bodies’ intellectual property policies or agreements.
- Business oriented and technology savvy with an ability for problem-solving.
- Strong social skills; able to successfully build strong client relationships.
- Thrives at collaborating within a team and at working cross-functionally.
- Excels in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Good judgement and capacity to collect and review all relevant data and information to advise the business in Apple’s best interest.
- Highly motivated with an excellent work ethic; capable of being a self-starter and the primary point of contact for any EU related standards legal issues.
- Comfortable learning new legal areas and skills
- Excellent drafting, organizational, advocacy and communication skills: ability to speak-up, convince and confront ideas to get to the right decision.
- Fluency in English, and ideally French and/or German.
Based in the Apple EU Brussels office, the legal counsel will counsel clients and advocate with government agencies in Europe and standards setting organizations on standards and IP policy related topics. Assess and analyse relevant EU rules and regulations across a broad range of issues that may have an impact on Apple’s business. Report to management and seek feedback on all relevant initiatives. Develop position papers and talking points aimed at crafting the direction and content of potential EU initiatives. Work cross functionally with a number of internal partners, including legal, government affairs and relevant business teams both in Europe and in the US. Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.