Field Service Engineer
Amsterdam, Holland, Netherlands
Apple is a place where extraordinary people gather to do their best work. Together we create products and experiences people once couldn’t have envisioned - and now can’t imagine living without. IF you’re excited by the idea of making a real impact, and joining a team where we pride ourselves in being one of the most diverse and expansive companies in the world a career with Apple might be your dream job… Just be prepared to dream big! The Field service engineer is responsible for deploying and maintaining servers and supporting fixtures and infrastructure in remote data centres located within Amsterdam and some European sites. The function will include the racking and stacking of servers and maintaining the layer 1 infrastructure throughout Apple Distribution Centres.
- Expertise with data centre operational tasks, including rack sizing, construction, equipment installation and decommissioning. Willing to do hands-on activities.
- Hands-on experience with various copper and fibre cabling structures, cable infrastructure design and labeling methodology.
- Acute understanding of regional seismic scales in relation to building codes an advantage.
- Experience with DCIM (Data Centre Infrastructure Management) tools. Hands-on operations in securing and monitoring equipment with enterprise level management tools.
- Experience of increasing responsibilities within a global, multi- cultural, multi-location organization.
- Certification in Data Center operations or data center related certification. e.g. CDOM, CDFOM, CDCE, CDCS.
- Experience in DC incident management and change control is important to prevent and/or handle failure scenarios leading to the recovery of services with improvement plans to mitigate future occurrence.
- Demonstrable experience in remote vendor management for infrastructure expansion, implement compliance with technical specifications and quality standards.
- New site sourcing and qualification of remote data centers for operational use.
- Possess good knowledge in data center infrastructure management tools such as nlyte.
- Must be capable of independent problem solving and self-motivated.
Execute regional co-location projects in the deployment and maintenance of compute servers in remote data centers including cabling infrastructure and RFID elements. Understand and work effectively in a culturally diverse organization from a global perspective Partner with key stakeholder interests while at the same time balancing conflicting priorities and business interests. Communicate at all levels with excellent oral and written skills to a variety of audiences. Organize and work effectively with other project teams and departments participating in DC related projects. Determines project costs/ensures delivery on time and within budgetary guidelines
Education & Experience
- This is a regional position where Distribution Centres are present. Locations include Amsterdam, London, Frankfurt and Munich, among others. Extensive (circa 75%) regional travel is key to the success of the role.