Camera Software - Image Quality Research Engineer
Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Software and Services
Do you have a passion for camera technologies, photography, videography and image processing? The Image Quality & Qualification team within Camera & Photos is seeking a result driven and meticulously organised Image Quality Engineer. In this position you will critically analyse images produced by novel algorithms in a cross-functional team and work closely with algorithm engineers locally and abroad to root cause and address any image quality concerns. Your collaboration with multi-functional Camera & Photos engineers will directly influence the performance and quality of Apple’s innovative camera features. This exciting position provides the opportunity to work with the latest Apple hardware & software to ship the world-class iPhone camera and touch the lives of millions of people on a daily basis. Come join us!
- Deep understanding of photography: exposure settings, white balance, depth-of-field, etc.
- Understand digital photography and image processing technologies
- Knowledgeable with lighting, whether artificial or natural and how it affects image and video quality
- Have some understanding of computational photography and machine learning
- Focus on details and have and possess strong debugging and analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Design of Photo-shoots to identify and debug problem cases
- Experience with scripting and programming languages is preferred.
Our products have considerable complexity and a rich feature set that push our hardware and software to the edge. This role requires an understanding of different ISP and framework components and their impact on image and video quality, a clear vision of what constitutes a phenomenal camera, and a strong dedication to drive features into better camera user experience. You will contribute directly to a variety of cutting edging technologies, such as Deep Fusion, HDR, Portrait mode, and future algorithm development. You will participate in quality evaluations for new features and algorithms through experimental studies, provide direct feedback to the engineering teams. In this role you'll be a critical part of a fast-paced, collaborative team and who thrive in a high energy, time-constrained, multitasking environment.
Education & Experience
Either: A bachelors/masters degree (or equivalent experience) in a technical degree (such as computer science, electronic engineering, physics, colour science, image science, etc) and a passion for photography Or A bachelors/masters degree (or equivalent experience) in a visual arts degree (Photography, cinematography) with experience in programming and analysis.
- Though not required, please do mention if you have any of these additional skills:
- - Prior experience with traditional film photography and a technical understanding of display technologies,
- - Experience in video evaluation, and understanding of video-specific intricacies as related to compression/video coding
- - Experience in commercial video camera systems and an understanding of the complex intricacies involved in high-quality videography
- - Understanding the fundamentals of the Human Visual System
- - Experience with Psychophysics and conducting Psychophysics experiments as it relates to image quality
- - Experience with Apple products, including macOS command line usage
- - Experience with project or program management, schedules and deadlines.
- This role may require occasional international travel/transatlantic travel
- Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programmes. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programmes that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products.
- Apple benefits programmes vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Apple is a drug-free workplace