Test Engineer, Packaging Product Design
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
At Apple, the customer experience extends beyond the product itself. Every aspect of product interaction plays a crucial role in building the customer experience, and packaging is often the very first one that is encountered. There is a universal happiness in unboxing Apple products, and that experience is designed and built by a passionate team that is continually pushing the boundaries of engineering and materials. We are looking for an In-region Test Engineer to join the Packaging Product Design team. This engineer will be responsible for developing characterization experiments and executing validation plans to enable new and innovative packaging designs. The test activities span technology development to mass production ramp. Close collaboration with internal team members and multi-functional groups throughout Apple will be required. The job is based in China and will require frequent travel to international sites for interactions with OEMs and suppliers, as well as periodic travel to USA. You will work with the team to develop/implement creative tests on hardware programs and new packaging technologies to quantify reliability risk and advise the leadership team on the best path forward. You will also build positive relationships with OEM/supplier teams and take a lead role in driving those teams to achieve our performance and validation goals to a very high level of quality. You should be an excellent communicator who is able to quickly grasp issues and drive them to resolution. The ability to drive people/groups for quality, schedule, and results both internally and externally is essential to success in this role. Prior experience in a dynamic engineering environment, strong knowledge of mechanical tests and how to develop them, and a drive to generate accurate engineering information with a high attention to detail is helpful.
- - 3+ years of new product development or testing experience in high volume manufacturing environment
- - Proven ability to work with vendors and internal multi-functional teams to execute test plans and analyze data into actionable results
- - Highly effective communication skills; ability to report technical details concisely, including good written and spoken English
- - Experience with mechanical reliability testing including Shock, Drop, Vibration and Environmental Testing preferred but not required
- - Skilled at remotely running multiple projects at once including oversight of activities at third party vendors
- - Working knowledge of tolerance analysis, design for assembly /manufacturability, simple fixture design, Statistical Process Controls (SPC), component and finished assembly metrology
- - Able to travel internationally
- Bring up and support qualification and reliability test activities at vendors/ supplier sites to achieve Apple requirements - Collaborate with vendors and multi-functional partners to ensure a seamless test and failure analysis process - Develop predictive reliability test procedures, and performance specifications to evaluate packaged product performance throughout a global supply chain. - Partner with multi-functional teams to evaluate design and processes at the early product design phases - Statistically analyze data to provide design risk assessments - Present technical information in a thorough and confident manner to management and executive teams - Develop and refine key metrics in pilot-level and mass-produced products, including mechanical robustness and impact on system reliability - Leverage dynamic test data (accelerometers, strain gauges), physical/optical inspection, metrology equipment and processes to benchmark design performance - Working knowledge of 2D and 3D CAD to communicate design intent and inspection requirements
Education & Experience
- BS or MS in Mechanical/Industrial/Material Science/Packaging or Chemical Engineering, or related fields.
- The position is based in China. Approximately 75% of time will be required for travel to suppliers' facilities across Asia for testing development and production bring up, as well as travel to USA in order to work side by side with engineers in Cupertino.