Localization Language Specialist: Simplified Chinese
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
Support and Service
The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they build the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. Apple is searching for a professional Simplified Chinese linguist who will be responsible for localizing AppleCare content for a variety of programs. We are not looking for a creative writer; rather, we’re looking for a creative linguist as part of our localization team. This is an amazing opportunity for the right linguist.
- 5+ years of extensive trans creation, translation, review/editing, or localization experience, preferably at a localization department in a global technology company, a localization vendor or creative agency for multimedia or copy writing.
- Extensive experience working with a team of linguists, cross-functional teams, and internal stakeholders.
- A passion for quality is required. Must eventually take ownership of the localization quality for AppleCare content.
- Working knowledge of translation and project management tools such as WorldServer and bug tracking tools.
- Be detail oriented. Ability to focus and prioritize in a fast-paced multi-task environment, and be creative at the same time.
- Being a cultural fit to the team is critical to our collective success. You have a good sense of humor, you enjoy building relationships, and you are an extremely strong team player. You view your colleagues as the potential source of the best answer.
- Native level Simplified Chinese & Mandarin language skills and have near native level of fluency in English.
- Domestic and international travel will be required to meet with internal and external stakeholders.
- A passion for Apple products and services. A good understanding of and expertise with technology is required.
- Experience with customer support or service operations is a plus.
- Experience with Localization Engineering or computer science background is a plus
- Ability to work cross functionally in a dynamic environment
- Self starter with innovation, integrity and attention to details.
- You will review and edit translated Simplified Chinese content in a manner that best suits the audience. The challenge is to remain 100% respectful of the English source when making the edits. - You will participate in terminology and terminology management discussions pertaining to the areas you're responsible for. - You will also participate in a variety of beta testing for customer-facing or internal systems, partnering with technology teams. - Close partnership with localization vendors, translators and quality management who work with them. - Eventually, you will partner with and educate source (English) content developers/authors to have them understand how their writing affects translated content. - You will work hard to persistently educate your Apple colleagues in China and elsewhere about localization. - To summarize, you will be tasked with reviewing and editing Simplified Chinese customer-facing and internal content in the areas of AppleCare customer support and service. You will need to possess a deep understanding of why the edits are required; how the changes affect other content; and how to implement these changes in both terminology databases (TD), translation memories (TM), published content, and current projects. - We believe successful candidates will have the following background and personal attributes: 1. You have extensive localization experience and have deep understanding of localization in general, hopefully in the technology industry. 2. You are an experienced linguist who understands translation, review, and editing in the real world of localization very well. 3. A big plus if you are a trained linguist who has also worked as a lead linguist, copy editor, writer, or journalist. 4. You enjoy collaboration. You understand that everyone has a point of view on “the best language to use”. You enjoy gathering all relevant opinions and working with multiple people and/or groups to determine the best outcome for our customers. 5. You are confident that you can quickly learn our WorldServer TM/TD tools. You’ve worked with these or similar tools in the past. 6. You have expert level understanding of written (both formal and colloquial) American English. Your own written English communication skills are also excellent.