Mechanical Engineer Design
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
TEAM: PRODUCT SERVICE ENGINEERING Job Summary: Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. What will you do? You are at Apple don’t just build products - you build the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of you and your ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. We have an exciting new position for a Mechanical Design Engineer in our growing Product Services Engineering team. This position involves all aspects of designing, sourcing and qualifying factory test fixtures for our Mac product lines. This is a position based in Shanghai, China. At Apple, we strive to change the world through our work every day. Our goal is to serve and delight our customers with the best products and services in the world. This role will design, source and qualify the necessary mechanical tools, fixtures and equipment required to support worldwide production and test of service modules. You will play a critical role to closely interact with many different teams across Apple both in the USA and in China, including Apple Product Design, Hardware Test Engineering, Operations Test Engineering, AppleCare and various business teams. Additionally, you will closely work with a number of Apple’s manufacturing partners and leading equipment suppliers and influence them. You will also work in a very diversified working environment.
- Successful candidates will have:
- - Three to five years in a mechanical engineering role with experience in fixture design.
- - Experience working on NPI projects in a manufacturing environment.
- - Experience with materials selection and design of pneumatics & electro-mechanical systems.
- - Experience with industry standard CAD design software.
- - Knowledge of GD&T, tolerance stack up analysis, and basic metrology.
- - Knowledge of failure analysis techniques and equipment.
- - Experience qualifying equipment. This includes planning, developing and implementing equipment qualification procedures, as well as compiling data and making recommendations using appropriate statistical (DOE, GR&R, Cpk) and reliability techniques.
- - Experience with high volume manufacturing factories.
- - Experience sourcing equipment and fixtures from third-party suppliers.
- - Experience with hands-on trouble shooting of mechanical and electrical equipment
- - Experience with simple programming ( such as C, C++ or Python) and basic electrical troubleshooting is highly desirable.
- - Strong written and oral communications in both English and Mandarin.
- - Strong relationship building, teamwork and peer influencing skills.
- - Clear ability to self-manage priorities and work deliverables.
- - Flexible, adaptable mind-set. Able to manage multiple fixture designs simultaneously.
- - Ability to create practical and innovative solutions.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE: - Determining test fixture requirements - Developing mechanical design concepts for test equipment - Leading technical design reviews with key internal / external partners - Managing China-based design firms and fabs to deliver test fixtures per specifications - Providing on site support for test fixture bring-up during new product development - Up to 25% international travel is required
Education & Experience
BS in Mechanical Engineering (or closely related field) MS in Engineering (preferred, but not required) Three to Five years mechanical design experience (minimum)
- Working location: Shanghai