Engineering Test Specialist - Safety
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
Imagine what you could do here! Do you care about how products perform, what makes them delightful yet keeps them safe and user-friendly in the deepest sense? Do you ever consider what care and intention put into Apple’s product design allows us to uphold user trust and confidence? The engineering team in Apple’s cutting-edge Product Integrity group is responsible for ensuring our products meet international safety standards and regulations, but also exceed those requirements to befit Apple’s expectations. This position is offered in Apple's Product Safety Engineering group within Apple's Product Integrity organization. Our mission is to ensure that Apple products are safe for use throughout the world while staying in sync with worldwide safety requirements. The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they build the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it.
- Knowledge of hardware product design and experience with disassembly, system and component analyses, and repair. Demonstrated experience and familiarity with Apple products are highly desirable.
- Project experience as in one of the following technologies is preferred: battery cells and or packs, PCB (e.g. SoC, Memory), and or power adapters/supplies.
- Knowledge of consumer electronics products and the ability to diagnose and identify product- and component-level failures.
- Experience of evaluating the field performance of hardware products; experience working with high-volume consumer electronics desirable.
- Proficiency with hand tools, electronic measurement equipment, scopes, and other sensors/scanning suites — e.g. digital multimeter, high-speed video, microscopes, thermocouples— are desirable. Experience with X-ray and CT scanners highly desirable.
- Experience with battery and/or PCB or electrical components, and associated failure mode analyses, are highly desirable.
- Ability to work independently, yet also be a strong team-player who can shift in different work environments or projects.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills. Knowledge of data analysis and statistics.
- Good written and verbal communication skills with native fluency in Mandarin-Chinese. Functional proficiency in English required.
- You will follow established SOPs to perform failure investigations, battery safety testing, and designs of experiments (DOEs) as needed. Other technologies or products to be evaluated based on mission needs and capabilities. - You have possess ability, skills, and expertise to execute tests per UL and IEC standards (e.g. UL2054, UL1642, IEC62133, IEC61960), or similar. - You need support in end-to-end test design; plan and validate for new product introduction from prototype to mass production. - Under the supervision of Safety engineers, support the development and documentation of test procedures, test plans, and corresponding reports. - You will specify and implement test process control and data collection methods, document for data integrity and traceability. - Interact with Apple internal test/lab groups to ensure that testing across different technology spaces are aligned and meet standards; ensure on-time completions and assessments. - Follow shipping, receiving, handling, and storage requirements to efficiently receive, transfer, store, and track shipments and test units. - You will manage and maintain daily operations of test equipment and tools, keeping track of lab tools and supplies. - Ensure appropriate calibration and upkeep of equipment and related spaces. - You will take the responsibility of equipment routine calibration, preventive maintenance, lab 5S, and internal EHS audits. - You will collaborate with other team members in areas of work allocation, assignment. - Lead, train, and supervise (as appropriate) technicians and junior operators on all key operations listed above.
Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent) highly preferred. Relevant job experience and/or certifications in lieu of formal education may be considered on case-by-case basi