Senior Battery Expert / Failure Analysis Engineer
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish.The people here at Apple don’t just create products - they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. We are looking for an individual who will lead our failure analysis activities with advanced lithium ion battery technologies. You will be working closely with internal cross-functional teams to conduct cell diagnostic analysis, establish cell aging mechanisms, and provide enhanced cell and material design guidelines to extend battery life and reduce/prevent failures. In addition, you will develop electrochemical models to explain and predict cell degradation, based on which feedback will be provided to internal cell engineering staff and the external vendor base to optimize cell design and performance.
- - Requires 5+ years of hands on experience with battery failure analysis or cell materials development
- - Deep understanding of battery cell design and electrochemistry of Lithium-ion battery cells
- - Familiarity with analytical tools such as FTIR, SEM&EDX, XPS, XRD etc
- - Familiarity with electrochemical modeling of lithium-ion battery performance and degradation
- - Ability to interpret electrical signatures of lithium-ion cells and derive a correlation with cell degradation phenomena
- - Experience with current state of the art lithium-ion cell production processes
- - Ability to clearly explain technical decisions based on data and results
- - Self-starter with an ability to motivate and work independently with minimal mentorship required
- Diagnostic and prognostic investigation of battery failures. - Electrochemical modeling of aging and degradation behavior of lithium-ion cells using electrical testing and analytic tools such as FTIR, SEM, XRD, TEM, or XPS. - Identification of major contributors to cell degradation from cell design, process and chemistry, and the impact of cell cycle protocol and device usage patterns. - Contribute to the establishment of battery specifications and battery health indicators and assist with establishing cell design details to meet application requirements. - Act as technical point of contact for electrochemical characterization and aging mechanisms of batteries. - Work with cell and battery engineering groups to apply battery degradation mechanisms to understand field data and to implement mitigation to extend battery life.
Education & Experience
Masters or PhD in Electrochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science or a related field.