Manufacturing Design Engineer (MDE)-Audio
Nanshan, Guangdong, China
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. In this highly visible role, our Manufacturing Design Engineers (MDE) are responsible for the development and implementation of high precision mechanical fabrication processes in a high paced environment.
- Good written and oral communication skills, fluent in English.
- College degree in Mechanical / Industrial Engineering and/or relevant manufacturing work experience.
- Hands-on experience and technical knowledge in fixture design and various production processes such as CNC (milling, lathing), forming (stamping, forging), surface finishing (polishing, blasting, lapping, anodization), coating (ink, paint), and assembly (gluing, laser welding, heat staking, ultrasonic welding).
- Ability to learn, implement and use Statistical Process Control to make data driven decisions.
- On-site build support; must be willing to work from OEM factories.
- Ability and willingness to work independently and travel frequently (mainly in Asia).
- A team player who is self-motivated, results oriented and detailed oriented.
In this highly visible role, you will manage selection, implementation & optimization of manufacturing processes for mechanical enclosure subassemblies for our legendary products. Responsibilities include developing new manufacturing processes to enable future product designs, conducting DOEs to validate process capability, and qualifying processes for mass production. You will utilize your Mechanical Engineering experience and work cross functionally with Product Design Engineering and Industrial Design to assess product features for manufacturability, and recommend capable production processes and equipment. You will work closely with Cupertino-based SBEs in the development of above said processes. You will work with Global Supply Managers to develop new equipment from RFQ through factory implementation, and manufacture and deliver material to downstream supply chain nodes on time and on cost. You will work with Supplier Quality Engineers to drive yield improvement through analyses of part quality, defect pareto, and SPC. A heavy emphasis will be on working with suppliers to define and refine mechanical tooling and fixtures, and establishing process capability and readiness. Coordination of activities and direction through clear communication between the Asia and US-based teams, and vendors is a necessity. You may audit supplier secondary processes and assembly processes as well as support product phase builds from prototype through ramp and mass production.
Education & Experience
MSME/BSME, or equivalent