Development Engineer - Softgoods
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
Why Apple? At Apple we believe our products begin with our people. By hiring a diverse team we drive creative thought. By giving that team everything they need we drive innovation. By hiring incredible engineers and designers we drive precision. And through our collaborative process we create memorable experiences for our customers. These elements come together to make Apple an amazing environment for motivated people to do the greatest work of their lives. Why Softgoods? Apple’s Softgoods Engineering team is relatively new to Apple. We work with textiles, leather, silicone and soft polymers. Our mission is to use these incredible materials to enable new product categories, and to enhance Apple’s existing product lines. Bringing Apple engineering and precision to products made of soft materials is an exciting challenge and requires a creative and open minded approach. We have a talented team of people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We all work together in a beautiful customized lab where we design, develop and engineer the best softgoods products in the world. If this sounds like an exciting challenge, we hope you will consider a place in our team!
- Strong 3D and 2D CAD skills (NX or Solidworks, Illustrator or Corel preferred)
- Min 2 years of experience developing consumer goods products
- Basic machinery operation (mill, servo press, laser cutter, 3D printer, etc.)
- Strong presentation skills (Keynote or Powerpoint)
- Conversationally fluent in both Chinese and English
We are looking for a highly motivated development engineer. You will be part of a cross-functional design team responsible for conceiving, designing and producing exciting new products. The Development Engineering team is responsible for bringing concepts to reality thru prototyping, model making, and vendor collaboration. The prototypes we create are fabricated in both our Apple Shenzhen lab and contract manufacturing sites. You will work closely with many different groups including Product Design Engineering, Operations, Packaging, and Reliability. You will also work directly with our manufacturing suppliers and OEM partners in program management, line bringing-up, and executing various prototyping builds. While you are on-site, you will enable project success by monitoring the build schedule, managing critical path, and driving timely issue resolution. Our team is responsible for products in the following categories: iPhone cases, iPad accessories, Watch bands, and Audio products, as well as supporting other teams at Apple that wish to use soft goods materials in their designs. This role will require up to 30% travel to our global supply base, and Apple Cupertino.
Education & Experience
BS in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial or Product Design, required; MS Preferred.
- Knowledge of soft goods materials (textiles, films, synthetics, leather, adhesives, etc.)
- Knowledge of soft goods assembly process (bonding, cutting, stitching, welding, etc.)
- Understanding of high volume mass production environments
- Experience working and communicating with factories in handling prototyping builds