Shanghai, Shanghai, China
Operations and Supply Chain
COMPANY OVERVIEW: Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and we reinvented it in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, we continues to own the industry in innovation with its award-winning computers, OS X operating system and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital media revolution with its iPod portable music and video players and iTunes online store, and has entered the mobile phone market with its revolutionary iPhone. Make a difference. Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Job Summary We are seeking expert System Administrator. You will be responsible for working with multi-functional and cross-organizational teams to understand, augment, and implement the systems, processes, and tools that are used for the quality manufacturing business. The purpose of the role is to ensure that Apple’s systems are run with the highest level of dedicated management to improving uptime for Apple’s most significant manufacturing systems.
- Systems Administration/System Engineer in Linux/Unix.
- Solid experience over 3-4 years of providing 24x7 support for Production and Development environments.
- Advanced troubleshooter.
- Go-getter and willing to learn.
- Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice.
- Travel at short notice is also sometimes required.
- Work requires lifting servers with vendors when racking equipment.
• Essential Functions: The System Administrator (SA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. You participate in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. You ensure that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures make sure to interpersonal values, enable resources to perform tasks, and meet various service level agreements. You will assist infrastructure project coordinator teams with technical issues in the Initiation and Planning phases of our standard Project Management Methodology. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. Participation on projects is focused on smoothing the transition of projects from development staff to production staff by performing operations activities. You are accountable for the following systems: Linux, SAN Storages, Object Storage, Security, and Inventory systems that support infrastructure; Responsibilities on these systems include SA engineering and provisioning, operations and support, maintenance and research and development to ensure continual innovation. • Engineering and Provisioning Engineering of related solutions for various project and operational needs. Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, cabling, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements. Install and configure systems such as supports SDS infrastructure and applications. Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures. Contribute to and maintain system standards. Research and recommend innovative, and where possible, automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that use our resources and provide economies of scale. • Operations and Support Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs. Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions. Provide upper tier support per request from various constituencies. Investigate and tackle issues. Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Watch and communicate with impacted constituencies. Perform hardware, software, and basic network troubleshooting as necessary. • Maintenance Apply OS patches and upgrades on a periodic basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary. Upgrade and configure system software that supports SDS infrastructure applications per project or operational needs. Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures. Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning. Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required. Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment. • Leadership Provide team and project leadership to onshore and offshore contract resources. Lead by example by building and adhering to standards to maintain environmental consistency. Represent Apple as a leader when working with complementary teams facilitating meetings and driving project tasks to completion. Represent the System Administration Team while on project meetings. Experience RHEL / Oracle Enterprise LINUX. IBM Object storage Cleversafe. LINUX performance tuning to support MySQL database technologies. LINUX NFS and SAN based storage solutions. LINUX / UNIX networking. Zenoss monitoring tool. VMWare Virtual machines. Puppet, Razor, scripting in bash, python, Ruby on Rails.
Education & Experience
Bachelor degree, Diploma or Equivalent work experience will be considered.
- Proficient in English and Mandarin to be able to communicate with contract manufacturer.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.