Mechanical Design Engineer
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish.
- 1. 3+ years of full time mechanical manufacturing experience required Demonstrate excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills.
- 2. Experience with highly cosmetic parts a plus as is experience in a manufacturing environment of consumer electronics or consumer plastic / sheet metal products
- 3. Be a self-starter by defining all engineering tasks to meet project objectives and have the ability to quickly learn about new processes with very little information provided.
- 4. Experiences of process technical development or (customized machine (non-standard machine)) including (or very familiar with some of), CNC, lathe, Polishing, cutters /cutter coating industry, plastic industry, Blasting media, Chemical Treatment, Cleaning, Automation etc;
- 5. Experiences of direct dealing with Nylon/Rubber with Metal is preferred.
- 6. Good written and oral communication skills, fluent in English. Very Familiar with GD&T, DOE, SPC.
- 7. Ability and willingness to work independently and travel frequently (mainly in china), a team player who is self-motivated, results oriented and detailed oriented
- Lead the development work of multi-type metal components CNC manufacturing including lathe, CNC, polish, laser etc of Apple Watch/Mobius products. - Design the cutting and polishing process based on cosmetic and drawing requirement, to be pioneering bringing up the new metal material, surface finish mechanism, mapping out process flow, selecting processing equipment, designing corresponding fixtures/slurries/wheels/sandpapers/magazines/trays, initiating DOEs to find out the best machine setups, mechanical cutting path and parameters, and finalizing the process solution from prototype stage to mass production stage, and finalizing the process solution. - Be deeply involving and handling in working on multiple customized processes in the scope of: CNC, Polishing, PVD, Chemical Treatment, Sand Blasting, Anodizing, Cleaning, Automation etc. - Assembly/Automation - Develop all assembly/Auto processes. Includes incorporating welding, gluing/adhesives, and mechanical fit based processes. Support qualification of equipment at suppliers, including detailed documentation of process parameters. Own yield improvement actions and process change decisions based on statistical process control (SPC) data analysis. Identify automation opportunities and justify automation projects based on automation line efficiency metrics. - Molding/Printing - Understand Molding/Printing processes to achieve cosmetic and surface durability requirements. Scope and specify paint equipment, environmental clean room requirements, evaluate and select most appropriate Molding/Printing parameters to ensure quality and yield requirements are met. - Work with Product Design Engineering to assess product features for manufacturability, and recommend capable production processes and equipment. - Work with multi-functional (US Team/Buyer/Quality) to develop new equipment from RFQ through factory implementation, and manufacture and deliver material to downstream supply chain nodes on time and on cost, drive yield improvement through analysis of part quality, defect pareto, and SPC. - A heavy emphasis will be on working with suppliers to define and refine mechanical tooling and fixtures, and establishing process capability and readiness.
Education & Experience
BS, MS or PhD in mechanical, manufacturing or industrial engineering preferred.