Manufacturing Design Engineer
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that encourages the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. We are looking for individuals capable of maintaining project deadlines in a fast-paced, highly dynamic environment. You will face industry leading quality targets that will challenge our suppliers’ ability to produce parts in volume, on time and within budget. As a Manufacturing Design Engineer, you will have responsibility to work with our suppliers and subject matter experts to develop, implement and control production processes that meet or exceed the product design requirements. You must be able to collaborate as a member of a dispersed project team, and deliver on personal projects at the same time. You will be key to the successful launch of new, ground-breaking products.
- 4+ years of experience as a process owner/production engineer, quality engineer or similar role where you were responsible for the performance of production equipment.
- Self-starter with ability to lead multiple projects with a high-level of accountability for results.
- Understanding of DFM and process optimization practices
- Demonstrated experience using statistical methods to improve production results; quality/capability, through-put, cost reductions, etc.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high pressure environment under tight deadlines
- Ability to write and speak fluently in Chinese and English
- Frequent negotiation and persuasive discussions with contract manufacturers to achieve project goals and objectives
- Frequent travel within China and Asia based on program requirements
- Periodic travel overseas
Point person for the selection, development, implementation & optimization of secondary operations for mechanical enclosure subassemblies at suppliers, including; − Machining of metals and plastics − Production Line Automation − Laser processing of metals and plastics Use personal experience and research to provide technical direction on processes and equipment capable of meeting product specifications and production volumes Work with US-based Manufacturing Design Engineers, Supplier Quality Engineers and Product Design Engineers to assess product features for manufacturability Work with Global Supplier Managers to identify capable suppliers, assess their capacity, quality and cost Work with suppliers to define tooling, fixtures and processes; DFMs Drive trial plans and DOE studies to refine, and optimize production processes Drive supplier root cause analysis and corrective action plan implementation, while maintaining project schedule. Work with suppliers to establish process capability and stabilize processes prior to production ramp Report and present study results and conclusions to support product development Audit supplier manufacturing and assembly processes Support product phase builds from Proof-of-concept, through production ramp.
Education & Experience
MSME/BSME or equivalent