Noise & Vibration Engineer
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
At Apple, new ideas have a way of quickly becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences. Sound is an essential and compelling facet of the customer experience so Apple has assembled a world-class Acoustics team that enables our customers to experience music with delight, communicate with clarity, and appreciate our products without disturbance from noise. In Apple Acoustics we work with obsessive attention to detail, directly contributing to products that ship to millions of people around the world. The Acoustics – Noise & Vibration team contributes to hardware design, validation, and troubleshooting to minimize distracting audible noises and optimize their sound quality. We are a diverse team of acoustics and vibration experts, accomplished listeners, and creative problem solvers. We work daily with multi-functional teams on innovative solutions to complex engineering challenges. We are searching for a Noise & Vibration Engineer to join our team of dedicated and passionate engineers.
- You will excel in the role of Noise & Vibration Engineer if you: have considerable knowledge of acoustics and vibration principles, with 5+ years of experience in the noise/vibration field,
- are able to communicate technical concepts in English and Mandarin,
- have acoustic and vibration measurement skills, are fluent in data analysis methodology, and have experience making measurements in anechoic/hemi-anechoic chambers,
- have experience in troubleshooting test setups and design implementations, communicating and documenting test operations, and
- are an accomplished listener with excellent hearing over the audible frequency range.
- While not required, it is especially helpful if you: have experience using precision-grade instrumentation for ultra low-noise measurements,
- have a history of developing high-volume consumer electronics,
- have knowledge in electrical components and concepts, and understand forced excitation, both transient and steady-state, and how motion of mechanical systems turns into radiated noise.
A Noise & Vibration Engineer on the Noise & Vibration team will: author and translate SOPs, test plans, and specifications; communicate noise levels and annoyance among teams; set sound quality targets in lab and manufacturing environments; facilitate validation testing, analyzing data sets and communicating results to both technical and non-technical team members; use your findings from vibration and acoustic testing to discover the root cause of unwanted noises; travel among our partner facilities throughout China and occasionally to the US.
Education & Experience
Most of our engineers have advanced degrees in Acoustics or an equivalent field, but if you’ve followed a different path to expertise in acoustics, vibration, noise control, or sound quality, that’s fine too.