Product Design Engineer - Softgoods, China
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
Why Apple? At Apple our products begin with our people. By hiring a diverse team we drive creative thought. By giving that team everything they need we drive innovation. By hiring incredible engineers we drive precision. And through our collaborative process we create memorable experiences for our customers. These elements come together to make Apple an amazing environment for motivated people to do the greatest work of their lives. Why Softgoods? Apple’s Softgoods Engineering team is relatively new to Apple. We work with textiles, leather, silicone and soft polymers. Our mission is to use these incredible materials to enhance Apple’s existing product lines and to enable new technologies. Delivering world class Apple products made of soft materials is an exciting challenge and requires a creative and open-minded approach. We have a talented team of people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We work together in beautiful, customized labs where we design, engineer and develop the best Softgoods products in the world. If this sounds like an exciting challenge, we hope you will consider a place in our team!
- BS in Mechanical, Aerospace, or similar Engineering field required
- Strong understanding of engineering fundamentals (beam bending, free body diagrams) and ability to creatively apply concepts to new problems not listed in engineering textbooks.
- Strong analytical problem solving skills and ability to use statistical tools and techniques.
- Proficient in 3D and 2D CAD – NX a plus
- Proficient in Design for Manufacturability (DFM), and Design for Assembly (DFA), statistical tolerance analysis techniques (SPC), functional dimensioning, and geometric tolerancing (GD&T)
- Detail orientated, proactive thinking, and capable of handling multiple assignments under high pressure.
- Good in English written and oral communication.
- China based position – Shenzhen.
We are looking for a highly motivated product design engineer. As a member of our collaborative, cross-functional design team, you will be responsible for conceiving, designing and producing exciting new products. You will work closely with US and Asia based Product Designers and many other cross functional groups, including Industrial Design, Hardware Engineering, Operations and Reliability. This roles requires travel to U.S. and within Asia.
Education & Experience
BS in Mechanical, Aerospace, or similar Engineering field required
- 5+ years of experience designing products utilizing a variety of engineering materials
- MS in Mechanical Engineering
- Knowledge of Softgoods materials (synthetics, leather, adhesives)
- Knowledge of Softgoods assembly process (bonding, cutting, stitching)
- Experience with design of assemblies for high volume mass production
- Experience with plastic and metal part design, and fabrication techniques.
- Joint development with international customer or colleagues.
- Study/Work in US/UK/Europe/Japan.
- Team work with OEM/ODM vendor.
- Post operation (2nd operation) knowledge on plastic, metal part, including assembling, fixture design.
- Mandarin language skills a definite benefit.