Noise & Vibration Engineer
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
At Apple, new ideas have a way of quickly becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences. Sound is an essential and compelling facet of the customer experience so Apple has assembled a world-class Acoustics team that enables our customers to experience music with delight, communicate with clarity, and appreciate our products without disturbance from noise. In Apple Acoustics we work with obsessive attention to detail, directly contributing to products that ship to millions of people around the world. Our Noise & Vibration team contributes to hardware design, validation, and troubleshooting to minimize distracting audible noises and optimize their sound quality. We are a diverse team of acoustics and vibration experts, accomplished listeners, and creative problem solvers. We work daily with multifunctional teams on innovative solutions to complex engineering challenges. We are looking for a Noise & Vibration Engineer to join our team in the Shanghai region!
- The ideal candidate will have a solid fundamental knowledge of acoustics/noise and/or vibration principles and be able to communicate complex acoustic principles in English.
- Other qualifications include:
- 3+ years relevant experience preferred but fresh graduates are also welcome to apply
- Fluent in English & Mandarin and technical concepts in English & Mandarin
- Strong theoretical and experimental background in acoustics and/or vibration
- Solid testing and data analysis skills
- Experience or knowledge with acoustic testing equipment (chambers, microphones, etc)
- Accomplished listener with excellent hearing over the audible frequency range.
- Comfortable with various computer scripting languages and ability to learn new scripting skills
- Ability to effectively contribute in a fast-paced, constantly changing, and multitasking environment
- Flexibility in problem solving approaches
As a Noise & Vibration Engineer based in the Shanghai region, you will have a wide range of responsibilities including: - Implementing test methodologies and writing test plans and standard operating procedures for acoustic testing in factory environments - Analyzing data using noise level, noise spectrum, and sound quality metrics - Troubleshooting design issues that result in unwanted acoustic noise - Creating and implementing innovative noise test solutions with cross-functional teams - Communicating with design teams, and supervising contractor manufacturer teams in testing and design implementation - Frequent travel among sites in the Shanghai and Shenzhen regions along with several times of travel to US per year
Education & Experience
BS/MS/PhD, preferably in Acoustics or equivalent field. If you have followed a different path to expertise in acoustics, vibration, noise control, or sound quality, we want to hear from you too.