Calibration and Instrumentation Engineer - Motion Sensing
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry- leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. Are you up for the challenge? The Hardware Test Engineering team plays a key role in keeping up quality standards, and through work with the team, you’ll have the unique opportunity to impact products all across Apple. The team is looking for a system design engineer who is responsible for the design and deployment of calibration and performance testing equipment for motion sensors like IMUs and magnetometers. You will be responsible for the full spectrum of the lifecycle of the test system - from prototyping to deployment at mass production. You will work closely with the Motion Sensing design group to define calibration and test procedures, and design high precision instrumentation & systems to be able to perform this efficiently in a factory environment.
- Working knowledge of sensors (IMU, pressure sensors, magnetometers, optical sensors)
- Professional experience designing, debugging and working with electromechanical systems
- Familiarity with programming in one or more of the following: C/C++/Objective-C and scripting languages like Python/Lua
- Experience in one or more source control systems like Git/SVN
- Experience with processing data using tools like MATLAB, JMP or Python Strong applied mathematical skills (linear algebra, algorithms)
- Experience working with IMU, pressure sensors or magnetometers preferred High volume consumer electronics calibration, testing and manufacturing experience preferred
- Ability to work well in a collaborative, highly cross-functional and fast paced environment.
- Experience/interest in systems engineering in a multidisciplinary environment Strong English written and verbal communication skills
You will be responsible for the specification, design, validation and deployment of automated equipment to test and calibrate devices for Apple’s new product introduction (NPI) and mass production. Responsibilities will be tuned to match the candidate’s technical background, but you will may be expected to: - Architect hardware for systems to test and calibrate motion sensors. - Introduce cutting edge technology to people around the world to make their life better - Develop, optimize, and debug test software in C/C++/Objective-C - Collaborate with cross functional teams to specify and implement test coverage - Analyze large amounts of sensor data and use data driven approaches to solve engineering challenges - Perform failure mode root cause analysis and resolution, debugging from the system level down to the component level - Redefine existing algorithms to optimize them for performance or execution time Balance decisions between engineering asks and manufacturing efficiency while ensuring product quality - Work collaboratively with a creative and diverse team of experienced engineers from all disciplines including Systems Hardware, Product Design, Reliability, Software and Operations
Education & Experience
BS/MS in EE/CS/CE/Physics
- Up to 20% international travel