Siri - International Linguist (Cantonese)
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Region, Hong Kong
Software and Services
The people here at Apple don't just build products - they build the kind of wonder that's revolutionized entire industries. It's the diversity of those people and their ideas that encourages the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. As a linguist, you will design, analyze and improve our linguistic resources and processes to support projects related to natural language processing, such as dictionaries for speech recognition and synthesis, machine translation, text normalization, part of speech tagging, tokenization, lemmatization, inflection, transliteration and context-free grammars for data validation and information extraction. The linguist team is responsible for designing tasks and methods for collecting and evaluating natural language data. The team creates guidelines for phonetic, phonological, discourse, semantic, syntactic and morphological projects. Do you have a broad knowledge of, and experience in, natural language understanding, phonology, phonetics, syntax, semantics, ontology, corpus linguistics, data acquisition, or any combination thereof? And do you possess multilingual expertise? Join our linguist team!
- - Interest and experience in various areas of linguistics, including pragmatics, semantics, syntax, morphology, phonology, phonetics, discourse analysis, sociolinguistics, psycholinguistics and computational linguistics.
- - Experience with theoretical, applied and computational linguistics, and with a variety of linguistic and/or ontological representations (e.g. grammar, syntax, semantics, discourse, pragmatics, inference, etc).
- - Experience with basic programming techniques and familiarity with a mainstream programming language, such as Python, Java, C/C++ (for scripting, corpus analysis, etc.).
- - Native speaker fluency (or comparable) in Japanese, French, German, Cantonese, Hindi/English, Russian or Turkish.
- - Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Design, analyze and improve linguistic resources (modeling assets) and processes to support internationalization projects related to natural language processing. - Design tasks and methods for collecting and evaluating annotated, natural language data. - Create guidelines and set standards for phonetic, phonological, discourse, semantic, syntactic and morphological projects. - Provide linguistic and operational guidance and support to language teams. - Evaluate, analyze and monitor data quality and improve linguistic resources, e.g. use case templates and expansions, non-terminals and dictionaries for speech recognition and speech synthesis. - Contribute to natural language processing tasks assigned to language teams. - Identify errors and regressions and propose solutions to improve accuracy. - Create and develop tooling for linguistic analysis. - Identify needs for linguistic data, corpora and tools.
Education & Experience
Masters degree in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Language Technologies, or related field.
- Desired (but not required) experience/skills:
- - Experience in designing and implementing data-based research experiments.
- - Experience working with large quantities of natural language data, lexical resources, corpora, NLP algorithms and tools.
- - Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and communication skills.
- - Knowledge of one or more foreign languages.