Product Design Engineer
Taipei, Taiwan, Taiwan
We are looking for a highly-motivated product design engineer to join a new product design team at Apple. You will be part of a cross-functional team responsible for developing solutions to complex mechanical problems that arise in our product development process. As a product designer located in Taiwan, you will be responsible for working closely with multiple vendors across Asia to develop new designs and processes suitable for a mass-produced Apple product.
- Deep understanding of engineering fundamentals and ability to apply concepts to new problems not listed in engineering textbooks.
- Strong analytical problem solving skills and ability to use statistical tools and techniques.
- 5+ years of experience in product design or engineering field (preferably consumer electronic products – computers, cell phones, cameras, etc.)
- Working knowledge of 3D CAD programs – Unigraphics NX is a plus.
- Understanding of Design for Manufacturability (DFM), Design for Assembly (DFA), statistical tolerance analysis techniques, functional dimensioning, and geometric tolerancing.
- Detail orientated, enthusiastic thinker, and capable of handling multiple assignments under high pressure.
We’re seeking someone with strong mechanical design skills, an ability to lead projects independently, and excellent communication skills both with vendors in Asia and designers inside Apple. You will be responsible for building prototypes, studying analytical models, and organizing DOEs as we study new designs. As designs mature, you will travel to contract manufacturers in China with the larger product design team to lead the implementation and assembly of your designs. Although this role requires some travel to final assembly sites in China, this is a design-focused role and those with the strongest design skills will be most successful. Up to 40% total travel required outside of Taiwan, including China and US.
Education & Experience
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BSME), Aerospace Engineering, or similar degree. Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering (MSME) preferred.
- Plastic and metal part design and fabrication techniques.
- Experience developing mechanisms in mass-produced products.
- Worked within internationals teams and OEM/ODM vendor.
- Post-processing knowledge for plastic and metal part, including assembly and fixture design.
- Fluency in both Mandarin and English