Wireless Research Systems Engineer – 5G/6G
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! Join us to help deliver system design of next generation groundbreaking radio access networks. Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? As a member of our dynamic group, you will have the unique and rewarding opportunity to craft next generation wireless technology that will have deep impact on future Apple products and inspire millions of Apple’s customers every single day. Wireless technologies have become a crucial part of all Apple devices that delight our customers. In our unit, we have the mission to research and develop wireless technology for next generation radio access networks across different layers (PHY, MAC, CP, DP) In this role you will be at the center of a cutting-edge research group responsible for creating next generation disruptive radio access technologies over the next decade. You will work on defining system level concepts, proposing and researching innovative ideas & algorithms, performing complex system simulations, defining rapid prototyping platforms to help prove your ideas and specifying RAN protocols and for next generation (6G) cellular systems.
- In-Depth knowledge of communication system theory and wireless systems
- Good knowledge of physical layer waveform design, channel coding and PHY/MAC procedures
- Deep understanding of multi-antenna techniques and procedures such as Massive MIMO, mmWave Beamforming and Beam Acquisition, mmWave mesh networks
- Familiarity with L2/L3 user plane and control plane protocol stacks and ability to perform cross-layer optimizations
- Good understanding of current cellular or Wi-Fi communication standards: eg. 5G (NR), 4G (LTE), IEEE 802.11ax, IEEE 802.11ax/ay/az/be
- Demonstrate clarity of thought and strong analytical and problem-solving skills (probability, digital signal processing, linear algebra, random processes, detection and estimation,).
- Proven track-record of innovation in the area of wireless system design
- Experience in object-oriented programming and wireless system simulator design and implementation
- Experience with Matlab, C/C++ and/or Python for algorithm development, modeling (floating-point and fixed-point) and link-level simulation.
- Ability to work well both independently and within a team
- Strong exposure to wireless system design and channel sounder design in very high frequencies (GHz, THz)
- Familiarity with low power design for smartphones and wearables
- Experience with wireless system optimization for augmented reality, virtual reality and automotive applications
- Familiarity with edge computing
- Experience with positioning and ranging based services and solutions
- Experience with sensing technologies such as FMCW radar
- Good foundation of machine learning concepts and ability to apply them towards solving problems in sensing and radio access networks
- Prior experience attending and contributing to 3GPP RAN working groups
- Understanding of mmWave antenna array design and RF system design of state-of-the-art mmWave transceivers is a huge plus
- You will research and design next generation (6G) wireless communication systems for radio access networks with emphasis on the PHY/MAC/L2/L3 layers - Contribute to link-level and system simulator modeling and framework design. - Take a top-down approach towards system design starting from a use case of relevance to Apple products, defining a problem statement and arriving at groundbreaking innovative solutions - Participate in industry/academic forums passionate about 6G technology - Assess the benefit of different proposals to solving a problem - Define and provide vital systems engineering support towards rapid prototyping platform development in the form of system requirements and system design documents - Contribute to future 3GPP RAN work items on 6G technology
Education & Experience
MS in Computer Science or Electrical/Information Engineering with relevant experience or PhD in relevant field with 5+ years of working experience.